11.06.2008

Epic Throng

The Grant Park Rally was incredible. Up until the election was called (my favorite moment of the night), it amounted to a 100,000 person CNN watching party. We recited the Pledge of Allegiance and sang the Star Spangled Banner (after the woman performing on stage sang a couple wrong words). I just remember feeling invisibly connected to the thousands of strangers surrounding me. Sleeper pick for great moment of the night, the streets of the Loop after the speech. Masses of people in the middle of Michigan Avenue, hugging, blowing trumpets, selling bejeweled Obama faces on oversized T-shirts. A co-worker of mine summed the night up nicely, "I was prepared to fully piss myself in the middle of the crowd, and I think people around me would have been pretty cool about it."

No comments:

  © Blogger template Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP